Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Racing the Leadvile Trail 100...

After a successful track racing season last year that ended with three masters national championship titles, I decided I needed to push my limits in a different way and find a new challenge. Racing 100 miles of 14000 ft of vertical climbing proved to be just what I needed.  Leading up to the Leadville Trail 100, I put in more time in the saddle than I ever have and suffered through miles of climbing.  When race day came around in mid August, my Scott Scale 29 with SRAM XX was dialed in and ready to go.  I knew one of the big challenges of these endurance races was to stay properly fueled and hydrated. I cut up my favorite Powerbar Fruit Smoothie bars into bite size pieces and had various PowerGels (vanilla, double latte, and tangerine) stashed in my pockets.   Luckily the weather gods cooperated that day and we had perfect weather.  When the gun went off at 5:30am I began what I knew would be a long day full of mental and physical challenges.  I remember thinking about mile 70 that this race was definitely harder than birthing my two kids.  Thankfully I didn't have any mechanicals on the bike nor did I crash.  I rode various parts of the course with people from all over the country and the camaraderie proved to be a needed boost at times.  I finished well before the 12 hour cut off and got the coveted belt buckle, but it was the feeling of accomplishment that I will keep with me forever.  I could not have done this without the support of my family and friends and great sponsors like Powerbar, Scott, and Sram!

Tough Girl Kimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment